Jeffrey X. WattDepartment Chair, Mathematical Sciences
Professor, Mathematical Sciences
The M.L. Bittinger Chair of Mathematics Education
Department of Mathematical Sciences
- 1990 Ph.D. Mathematics and Education, Indiana University
- 1986 M.S. Applied Mathematics, Fluid Dynamics, Purdue University
- 1984 F.S. Field Studies, Emory University
- 1983 B.S. Applied Geophysics and Engineering, Michigan Technological University
Courses Taught / Teaching
- MATH 16500 Calculus I,
- MATH 16600 Calculus II,
- MATH 3000 Logic and Proof,
- EDUC M457 Methods of Teaching Middle and High School Mathematics,
- MATH 58300 History Of Mathematics
My area of specialty is Mathematics Education at the secondary and post-secondary level. My current activities involve closing the achievement gap between high school and college level mathematics, curriculum and instruction development at the undergraduate level, training pre-service mathematics teachers, and professional development for in-service mathematics and science teachers.
Publications & Professional Activities
J.X. Watt, S.P. Hundley, C. Feldhaus, K. Marrs, A. Gavrin. Developing a STEM Talent Expansion Pipeline in Higher Education: A Work-in-Progress at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. PICMET (2011).
J. X. Watt, "What Does It Really Mean to be "College Ready"? Indiana's Future: Bold Choices. Better School. Facing Today's Challenges, Finding Tomorrow's Opportunities. 2009 CELL Abstract. November 16, 2009.
J.X. Watt, Finite Mathematics, 3rd Edition, Hayden McNeil Publishing. Highland, MI (2007).
A. Gavrin, J. X. Watt, K. Marrs, and R. E. Blake, Just-in-Time Teaching (JiTT): Using the Web to Enhance Classroom Learning, in Computers in Education Journal, Number 2, 14 (2004), 51-60.1.
A. Gavrin, J. X. Watt, K. Marrs, and R. E. Blake, Using the Web to Enhance Classroom Learning, in the Proceedings of the 2003 American Society for Engineering Education 3220: 1-13, (2003).
J. X. Watt, SEEN-Math: Problem Solving, Writing, and Collaborative Environments for Active Learning, in Proceedings of the Eighth Annual International Conference on Technology in Collegiate Mathematics (G. Goodell, editor), Addison Wesley (1996).
J. X. Watt and B. S. Ng, Assessment Report on the Developmental, Introductory, and Service Mathematics Courses at IUPUI: Curriculum, Instruction, and Student Outcomes. A Seven-Year Study. Report prepared for William Plater, Dean of the Faculty, IUPUI (1996).
H. J. Schwartz and J. X. Watt, Collaborative Writing Software for Problem Solving in Mathematics, in Computer Support for Collaborative Learning (C. O'Malley, editor), Springer-Verlag (1995), 296-299.
J. X. Watt, Compendium to Self-Study I: Instructional Assessment Results and Student Survey Data. Report prepared for the IUPUI External and Internal Review of the Department of Mathematical Sciences (1994).
H. J. Schwartz and J. X. Watt, Collaborative Learning in Writing-Across-the-Curriculum, in the Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Technology and Education (M. Thomas, T. Sechrest, and N. Estes, editors), ICTE Austin TX 11 (1994), 578-580.
J. X. Watt, Assessment Report on Developmental and Introductory Mathematics at IUPUI: Curriculum, Instruction, and Student Outcomes. A six-year study. Report prepared for Erv Boschmann, Associate Dean of Faculty, and the Department of Mathematical Sciences at IUPUI (1993).
J. X. Watt, Report on the Placement Test's Validity and Reliability and the Longitudinal Tracking of Students through the Developmental Mathematics Curriculum. A five-year study. Report prepared for the Dean of Faculty and the Department of Mathematical Sciences (1992).
L. A. Hutton and J. X. Watt, A Survey of Pre-Calculus Skills, Virginia Mathematics Teacher 19 (1992), 30-32.
L. A. Hutton and J. X. Watt, A Survey to Identify those Pre-Calculus Skills that are Weak or Missing Among Students who do not Succeed in Calculus, Ontario Mathematics Journal 30 (1991), 18-20.
J. X. Watt, National Conference on Assessment Report, Indiana University Assessment Exchange 3 (1991), 1-2.
J. X. Watt, The Effects of an Experimental Spatial Ability Treatment Program on Calculus Achievement With University Students. Dissertation Abstracts. (1990) Indiana University; Bloomington, IN.
J. X. Watt, Assessment Report on Curriculum and Instruction of Mathematics at IUPUI. A three-year study. Report prepared for the IUPUI Assessment Committee (1990).
- Indiana Mathematics Association of Two-Year Colleges (InMATYC)
- Mathematical Association of America (MAA)
- American Mathematics Association of Two-Year Colleges (AMATYC)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
Honors, Awards and Grants
- 2015 Barbara Jackson Outstanding First-Year Student Advocate Award
- 2013 Glenn W. Irwin Experience Excellence Recognition Award for Extraordinary Service to IUPUI
- 2010 U.S. Professor of the Year Award, Carnegie Foundation for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching and Mentoring
- 2009 Mathematical Association of America's Distinguished University Teaching Award
- 2004 IUPUI Athletics Department's Favorite Professor Award
- 2003 Winner of the John A. Curtis Lecture Award
- 2003 IU Frederic Lieber Memorial Award for Distinguished Teaching