Spring Into Science: A Week of Career ExplorationLocation: Multiple Event Locations
Monday, February 4th: On-Campus Career Development
On-Campus Opportunities Info Session, 3:00pm-5:00pm in UL 1116
Stay for one or all of the following sessions!
- Center for Research and Learning 3:00-3:30pm
- Life-Health Science Internship Program 3:45-4:15pm
- How to Engage in Faculty Research - with Dr. Bethany Neal-Beliveau 4:30-5:00pm
Tuesday, February 5th: Off-Campus Internships
Indiana INTERNnet: How to Secure an Internship, 12:30-1:30pm in UL 1116
- Indiana INTERNnet Operations Manager Allison Kuehr discusses strategies and resources for landing an internship!
Science Student Internship Panel, 3:00pm-4:00pm in UL 1126
- Current science students discuss their internship experiences!
- Senior in Chemistry, Forensic Science who interned with the Indiana State Police Laboratory in their Drug Unit
- Senior in Mathematics with Actuarial Science concentration who interned with CNO Financial
- Senior studying Environmental Science and Geology with a minor in Geochemistry. Served as a Sustainability Intern with Earth Charter Indiana.
Wednesday, February 6th: Graduate School Options
PREP-ing for Grad School: School of Science Graduate Programs, 12:00pm-1:00pm in UL 2115E
- Learn about the graduate programs offered in science!
Mental Health Practitioners Panel, 3:00pm-4:00pm in UL 1126
- Interested in a career in mental health but don't know how to get there? Learn about your options from current mental health professionals!
- Rachel Eccles, LCPCC
- A Registered Play Therapist who received her Bachelors in Psychology and Sociology at the University of Cincinnati and a Master's in Mental Health Counseling at the University of Cincinnati. She has been working in the mental health field for 6 years with an expertise in working with children 2 to 18 years of age. She currently works at Beech Acres Parenting center as a Therapy Supervisor where she oversees 7 clinicians.
- Danielle Henderson, Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
- Dr. Henderson earned her Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from the University of Louisville. She completed her pre-doctoral clinical internship and postdoctoral fellowship at Indiana University School of Medicine. Dr. Henderson began her clinical-track faculty position in the IU School of Medicine Department of Psychiatry in October 2018. She is a generalist psychologist in the Adult Outpatient Psychiatry Clinic in Goodman Hall, housed in the IU Health Neuroscience Center.
- Emily Roth, PsyD in Clinical Psychology
- Dr. Roth holds an MA and PsyD in Clinical Psychology from Spalding University. She also holds a BA in Psychology from American University. Dr. Roth completed both her pre-doctoral and postdoctoral fellowships at the IU School of Medicine where is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology in the Christian Sarkine Autism Treatment Center. She currently practices in the treatment and diagnostic evaluation of children and adolescents with ASD and other developmental disabilities.
- Elizabeth Lyon, LCSW
- Elizabeth holds a Master of Social Work degree from IUPUI and a Bachelor's Degree in Social Work from the University of Southern Indiana. She is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker working as an independently contracted therapist for Oases Counseling Center and as a staff therapist with Eskenazi Health Midtown Community Mental Health Center. She enjoys working with adults dealing with dual diagnoses, including mental health disorders and addictions.
- Ashley Jamriska, BA, BCABA
- Ashley received her Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education from Ball State University in 2008. Upon graduating, she gained several years of experience working with all ages of children in the field of educational. In 2012, Ashley discovered her passion for Applied Behavior Analysis, and continued her education through Florida Institute of Technology. She became certified as a Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analyst in 2015 and currently works as a behavior consultant for Beyond The Label, providing ABA treatment for patients in-home and in-community.
- Rachel Eccles, LCPCC
Thursday, February 7th: Trending Careers
- Hot Careers in Healthcare, 3:00pm-5:00pm in the Lilly Auditorium
- The field of healthcare is full of opportunity! Join us for this TedTalk style event and learn about growing healthcare professions that do not require a professional degree. Stay after the presentations to network with representatives!
3:00-3:15 Anesthesiology Assistant - Dave Howard, CAA and Assistant Director of IU Anesthesiologist Assistant Program
3:15-3:30 Speech Language Pathology - Valyne Anderson, CCC-SLP
3:30-3:45 Prosthetics & Orthotics - Brooke O'Steen, OTR with SRT Prosthetics & Orthotics
3:45-4:00 Music Therapy - Dr. Meganne Masko, PhD in Music Therapy and Assistant Professor with IUPUI Music Therapy program
4:00-4:15 Genetic Counseling - Allison Schartman, MS, LCGC with IU Health Physicians
4:15-5:00 Networking Session
Friday, February 8th: Field Trips (registration required)
Applied Science Trip, 1:00pm-3:45pm
- The Heritage Group
- An international, family owned portfolio of companies operating in the industries of Environmental and Remediation, Specialty Chemicals and Fuel Products, and Construction Materials. Heritage hosts a paid summer internship program that is open to various majors. The Heritage Group's family of companies regularly employs individuals with degrees in chemistry, environmental science, engineering, computer science, and more.
- PACE Analytical
- A privately held, industry-leading sampling and analytical testing firm. Pace provides analytical solutions for testing, staffing and equipment, in environmental, life sciences, and laboratory operations. Pace employs individuals with degrees in chemistry, biology, environmental science, physics, engineering, and more.
(Forensic) Pathology Trip, 12:00pm-4:30pm
- Coroners Office
- Cadaver Lab
- Pathology Assistant Program