- Degree Overview
- Special Programs
- Student Resources
- Get Involved
- Professional & Career Resources
- New Students
- Degree Overview
- Graduate Student Handbook
- Student Resources
- Financial Support
- Graduate Student Directory
- Research Overview
- Research Centers
- Undergraduate Opportunities
- Recent Ph.D. Dissertations
Undergraduate Degree Programs
What is Mathematical Sciences@IUPUI like?
From day one as a math major, you’ll receive the personal attention and support you need to be successful. As the term "mathematical sciences" correctly suggests, pure mathematics, applied mathematics, statistics, and mathematics education coexist harmoniously within the department. Our students have the opportunity to work with award-winning faculty and often conduct research to expand knowledge in the mathematics as well as apply mathematical solutions to problems in other fields such as engineering, computer science and the life health sciences.
What undergraduate mathematics degrees are available?
The IUPUI undergraduate mathematics program leads to a Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics from Purdue University, with a concentration in pure mathematics, applied mathematics, actuarial science, or secondary education.
- BS: Actuarial Science
- BS: Applied Mathematics
- BS: Applied Statistics
- BS: Pure Mathematics
- BS: Mathematics Education
- Mathematics Minor
- Sun Yat-Sen 2+2 Program
What is mathematics?
Mathematics is one of the oldest and most fundamental sciences. Mathematics is the science of quantitative relationships using numbers and symbols. Mathematicians use mathematical theory, computational techniques, algorithms and the latest computer technology to solve economic, scientific, engineering, physics and business problems. Mathematics is usually referred to as pure (theoretical and abstract) or applied (practical problem solving). Mathematics includes the following specialty areas: algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, probability, and statistics.
Why study mathematics?
The college graduate with a bachelor’s degree in mathematics can qualify for a broad range of highly paid positions in business, government and secondary education. Banks, insurance companies, oil companies and companies in the computer and communication industries employ many mathematicians, as do almost every bureau and branch of the federal government. A bachelor’s degree in mathematics can also lead to graduate study in mathematics or in a variety of other fields such as economics, computer science, medicine, engineering, business and law.
What careers are available?
- Actuarial Science: Actuarial science deals with the analysis of financial consequences of risk. Actuaries are highly trained professionals who are well versed in mathematical, statistical and economic techniques that enable them to evaluate financial risk of uncertain future events, especially those pertaining to health care, insurance and pension plans. Actuaries find employment with insurance companies, government, hospitals, banks and accounting firms. This concentration aims to prepare students for the first three actuarial examinations administered by the professional actuarial organizations.
- Applied Mathematics: Students with training in applied mathematics are employed in business, industry and government. This option is also good preparation for graduate study in fields closely related to mathematics such as computer science, statistics and engineering.
- Applied Statistics: Students with training in applied statistics are employed in business, industry and government. This option is also good preparation for graduate study in fields closely related to mathematics such as computer science, statistics and engineering.
- Pure Mathematics: Students will be well prepared for a variety of careers in the mathematical sciences as well as for graduate work in mathematics. Pure math students succeed in computer science, economics, law, engineering, medicine and business.
- Mathematics Education: Students will be prepared to become secondary education (middle school and high school) and other careers related as well as prepared for M.S. Mathematics with concentration in Mathematics Education.
Learn more about career possibilities and employers of IUPUI Mathematical Sciences grads.