- Degree Overview
- Special Programs
- Student Resources
- Get Involved
- Professional & Career Resources
- New Students
- Degree Overview
- Graduate Student Handbook
- Student Resources
- Financial Support
- Graduate Student Directory
- Research Overview
- Research Centers
- Undergraduate Opportunities
- Recent Ph.D. Dissertations
Carl Cowen Ph.D.
Professor, Mathematical Sciences
Director, Actuarial Science Program
Ph.D. Univ. of California, Berkeley 1976
M.A. Indiana University 1971
A.B. Indiana University 1967
- Professor IUPUI 2004-
- Director, Actuarial Science Program IUPUI 2010-
- Dean, School of Science Indiana University - Purdue University at Indianapolis 2004-2006
- Visiting Professor Mathematical Biosciences Institute Department of Mathematics Ohio State University 2002-2003
- Head, Department of Mathematics Purdue University 1997-2002
- Director, Actuarial Science Program Purdue University 1992-97
- Professor Purdue University 1989-2004
- Associate Professor Purdue University 1983-89
- Assistant Professor Purdue University 1978-83
- Visiting Lecturer University of Illinois 1976-78
- Instructor Indiana Univ. East, Richmond 1969-72
- Instructor Earlham College (joint appt. with Indiana East) 1969-71
Professional Societies & Honors
- AAAS (Amer. Assoc. Adv. Science), Math Section, Nominating Comm. 2010-13
- Bernie Morrel Teaching Award, IUPUI Mathematical Sciences Dept. 2010
- Mathematical Association of America Certificate for Meritorious Service 2009
- Indiana Section MAA Distinguished Service Award 2003
- Deborah and Franklin Tepper Haimo Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching 1997
- Indiana Section MAA Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching 1995
- School of Science Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award 1985-86
- American Mathematical Society
- Mathematical Association of America
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- International Linear Algebra Society
- Society for Mathematical Biology
- Association for Women in Mathematics
- Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Sigma Xi
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Marshall Scholarship
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board for "Journal of Humanistic Mathematics" 2009-
- AMS Representative, Program Committee for "First International Congress onMathematics and Statistics" held March, 2010 at Univ. of Sharjah, UAE
- Member, NAEP (National Assessment of Educational Progress) Math Standing Committee 2008-
- Member, Editorial Board for book series "Issues in Mathematics Education"
- Member, Steering Committee, Forum on the National Math Panel Report, 2008-09
- Member, Advisory Board, Institute for Mathematics and Education, U. of Arizona, 2007-2010
- Past-President, Mathematical Association of America, 2007-2008
- President, Mathematical Association of America, 2005-2007
- Past President, SIGMAA on Mathematical and Computational Biology 2006-2008
- President-Elect, Mathematical Association of America, 2004-2005
- First Vice President, Mathematical Association of America, 2002-2004
- Chair, MAA Coordinating Council on Education, 2000-2002
- MAA Coordinating Council on Education, 1996-2002
- 2004 National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) Math. Planning Comm.2000-01
- Project Director, AMS Task Force on Excellence in Mathematics Scholarship, 1995-97
- Indiana Section Governor, Board of Governors, Mathematical Association of America, 1996-1999
- SIAM Committee on Education, 1995-2001
- AMS Committee on Education, 1993-97, 2000-2003
- Member-at-Large, Council, American Mathematical Society, 1992-95
- Co-Chair and Purdue Coordinator for Wabash Modern Analysis Seminar 1984-2001
- Chair, Indiana Section of the Mathematical Association of America, 1989-90 & 82-83
Prof. Cowen works in areas related to linear operators on Hilbert spaces of analytic functions such as the Hardy and Bergman spaces. Much of this research deals with the classical Toeplitz, composition, and weighted composition operators and the theory of analytic functions connected to these operators. The goal of this research is to connect the operator theoretic structure of operators with the geometric and analytic structure of the functions defining the operator. Cowen's PhD students have worked in operator theory and related linear algebra and theory of analytic functions. Dr. Cowen's webpage: http://math.iupui.edu/~ccowen
1. Cowen, C. C., An analytic Toeplitz operator that commutes with a compact operator,
J. Functional Analysis, 36(1980) 169-184.
2. Cowen, C. C., Composition operators on H2, J. Operator Theory, 9(1983) 77-106.
3. Cowen, C. C., and Long, J. J., Some subnormal Toeplitz operators, J. für die reine
und angewandte Mathematik, 351(1984) 216-220.
4. Cowen, C. C., and MacCluer, B. D., Composition Operators on Spaces of Analytic Functions,
CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1995. (xii+388 pages)
5. Cowen, C. C., and MacCluer, B. D., Linear fractional maps of the ball and their composition operators,
Acta Sci. Math. (Szeged), 66(2000) 351-376.
6. Cowen, C. C., and MacCluer, B. D., Schroeder's equation in several variables. Taiwanese J.
of Mathematics, 7(2003) 129-154.
7. Cowen, C. C., and Gallardo-Gutiérrez, E. A., A new class of operators and a description
of adjoints of composition operators, J. Functional Analysis 238(2006) 447-462.
8. Cowen, C. C., and Gallardo-Gutiérrez, E. A., Unitary equivalence of one-parameter groups
of Toeplitz and composition operators, J. Functional Anal. 261(2011) 2641-2655.
9. Cowen, C. C., Gunatillake, G., and Ko, E.I., Hermitian weighted composition operators
and Bergman extremal functions. Complex Analysis Operator Theory, to appear.
10. Cowen, C. C., and Wahl, R. G., Shift-invariant subspaces invariant for composition operators
on Hardy spaces, provisionally accepted.