- Degree Overview
- Special Programs
- Student Resources
- Get Involved
- Professional & Career Resources
- New Students
- Degree Overview
- Graduate Student Handbook
- Student Resources
- Financial Support
- Graduate Student Directory
- Research Overview
- Research Centers
- Undergraduate Opportunities
- Recent Ph.D. Dissertations
Asok K Sen Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor, Mathematical Sciences
Richard G. Lugar Center for Renewable Energy
Ph.D. Cornell University
M.S, University of Minnesota
B.S. Indian Institute of Technology
Prof. Sen's research is in the area of physical applied mathematics. He uses advanced signal processing techniques to analyze various types of oscillatory activity in engineering and environmental systems. These techniques are being applied to the analysis of (a) solar activity and upper atmospheric processes, (b) climate reords from time series data of tree rings, glacier flow, riverflow, ocean sediments and stalagmites, and (c) cyclic variability in pressure and heat release fluctuations in internal combustion engines.
- Sen, A. K. (2007): Multifractality as a Measure of Complexity in Solar Flare Activity, Solar Physics, 241, 67-76.
- Sen, A. K., Longwic, R., Litak, G., Gorski, K. (2008): Analysis of Cycle-to-Cycle Pressure Oscillations in a Diesel Engine, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 22, 362-373.
- Sen, A. K., Litak, G., Kaminski, T., Wendeker, M. (2008): Multifractal and Statistical Analysis of Heat Release Fluctuations in a Spark Ignition Engine, Chaos, 18, 033115 (1-6).
- Sen, A. K. (2009): Complexity Analysis of Riverflow Time Series, Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, 23, 361-366.
- Sen, A. K., Filippelli, G. M., Flores, J. A. (2009): An Application of Wavelet Analysis to Paleoproductivity Records from the Southern Ocean, Computers and Geosciences, 35, 1445-1450.
- Sen, A. K. (2009): Spectral-Temporal Characterization of Riverflow Variability in England and Wales for the period 1865-2002, Hydrological Processes, 23, 1147-1157.
- Muñoz, A., Sen, A. K., Sancho, C., Genty, D. (2009): Wavelet Analysis of Late Holocene Stalagmite Records from Ortigosa Caves in Northern Spain, Journal of Cave and Karst Studies, 71, 63-72.
- Sen, A. K. (2010): Even-Odd Cycle Parity in Complexity of Hemispheric Sunspot Activity, Advances in Space Research, 44, 1321-1325.
- Sen, A. K., Zheng, J., Huang, Z. (2011):Dynamics of Cycle-to-Cycle Variations in a Natural Gas Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine, Applied Energy, 88, 2324-2334.
- Sen, A. K. (2012): Streamflow Variability in the Southern Appalachians and Atmospheric Teleconnections, River Research and Applications, 28, 630-636
- Gorski, K, Sen, A. K., Lotko, W, and Swat M. (2013): Effect ETBE Addition on the Physicochemical Properties of Diesel Oil and Particulate Matter and Smoke Emissions. Fuel 103, 1138-1143.
- Fang, K., Chen, F., Sen, A.K., Davi, N., Huang, W., Li, J, and Seppa, H. (2014): Hydroclimatic variations in central and monsoonal Asia over the past 700 years, PLOS ONE 9(8): e102751. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0102751
- Sen, A. K., and Fang, K. (2014): Multiscale variability and atmospheric teleconnections of the precipitation time series reconstructed from tree-ring records in the Xiaolong Mountain, Central China, Journal of Coupled Systems and Multiscale Dynamics 2, 9-14.
Sen, A. K., and Ogrin, D. (2015): Analysis of instrumental records of monthly,winter, and annual temperatures in Zagreb, Croatia, from 1862 to 2010: The 7.7-year cycle and the North Atlantic Oscillation. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 123, 733-739
Sen, A. K., and Kern, Z. (2016):Wavelet analysis of low-frequency variability in oak tree-ring chronologies from east Central Europe, Open Geosciences (in press).